Thursday, December 29, 2016

Dreaming

I had a nightmare last night. I dreamed it was June and I had not even started to think about my garden! Since we depend on the garden for food production, this was incredibly distressing. I woke up feeling like I had failed my family...even though it was just a dream! haha.

I started building a pallet wall around the bales, but the weather turned rainy and cold...and I ran out of materials... so I haven't finished yet. 

Well, I have good news...It's not even January. In fact, my straw bales are still covered in inches of snow.  Nice to know my subconscious is working ahead for me though. I just wish it was stop using fear tactics as motivation! Doesn't it know LOVE is much more motivating?

There are so many things I love to do, and because I have so many hobbies, I can't always keep up with all of them at the same time. There's music, canning, sewing, gardening, crocheting, cooking, couponing...and on and on. So, I started keeping certain hobbies for certain times of year. Sewing is more on an as per need basis while crochet is reserved for when the temperature starts to dip and I want a project to do that will also keep me warm. Canning is "usually" after a good sized harvest, but also if there is a really good sale on chicken... But, now that I think about it, gardening actually gets the largest share of the year, from planning in early and mid January, to cold weather planting in the sun room in late Feb/March, to warm weather seed starting in April, and full on transplanting in May/June, caring and nurturing throughout July and harvest in late July/August, to cleanup in Sept/Oct. Haha, That means I only take about 2 months off from that hobby! No wonder my sleepy brain is distressed, I haven't thought garden-y thoughts for nearly 2 months now.

Fortunately, when I do start thinking garden-y thoughts again, I will have a wonderful workspace to do it in. At the end of this last harvest season, my thoughtful husband built me a large gardening table for the sun room. It is positioned directly in front of a big window and at the perfect height for seedlings to get the sun they need to grow. There are shelves underneath for storing pots and tools and we put in a plastic shelving unit for my trays, seeds, and soil additives. I am so grateful to have a dedicated space for gardening this year.

We made it out of an old hollow door that was left in our garage and 2x4s from our kitchen demo project

Maybe my subconscious isn't trying to scare me. Maybe its very excited and didn't want me to sleep either!

~Simmer down now, Subby, time to go back to sleep, we'll look at seed catalogs in a couple weeks~

No comments: