Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Ah, Thanksgiving

Its a quiet Tuesday morning in the Fodey house and I am sipping my coffee.

My brothers dogs have come to visit for the week, raising our household dog total from 1 Yorkie, to 2 Yorkies and an English Bulldog. I have been so happy to host my "niece" and "nephew" and presently have two yorkies laying on my lap and the 55lb bulldog next to me sawing logs in a doggie bed half her size. Its cozy, and for the moment, everyone is getting along.

This can't last though. My coffee cup is now only half full and the slightest movement to get up will set into motion a series of events. Let me set the stage.

Our yorkie (T) is an only dog. He has a high level of anxiety around his cousins because he wants to play SO much, but the other yorkie (J) doesn't like to play with him and the bulldog (B)(who is big and has lots of teeth) chases him around the house. His cousins are used to each other and have a nice bond, so when the J is running away from T, B thinks her little brother is being attacked and rushes in to defend him. J gets away and T is made more upset by not being included in the pack. So, then T starts to bark at J and B any time they do something that he thinks is wrong, much like a tattling 6 year old whose older cousins won't let him play with them. This goes on and on until they are all too exhausted and poop out.

Back to my dilemma. The moment I move to get more coffee, J will move to get off my lap, T will bark at him for....I don't know....some puppy offense. J will bark back, T will growl and then B will jump up from her nap, a little confused about the disturbance, but assuming her tiny brother is in trouble, will chase T off. Bark, bark, bark, growl, growl, bark....

Ah Thanksgiving. The time of year where family comes together.

UH OH!


No comments: